Thursday, September 13, 2012

Oh la la shoe clips




especially pumps - I have about 10 pairs in lots of colours, but very often they are not quite right with different outfits.

I searched online for shoe clips and found some gorgeous ones, but at a price! So what do us crafters do? We make them - we have fun and save money at the same time.

These clips are so easy that anyone could make them - here's how

you need

2 x shoe clips
a hot glue gun
2 small felt circles
& embellishments - ribbon, feathers, vintage earrings, buttons, buckles

Cut pieces of ribbon - 2 x 17cms, 2 x 14cms,  2 x 8cms  and two smaller pieces to go around the bow (these lengths are dependent on the width of the ribbon).


place a pin in the middle as a guide (remove at the next step)


fold both ends and overlap slightly and glue (I always keep a bowl of cold water handy as this glue is hot!) I have just discovered you can buy heatproof finger protectors and will be ordering some very soon. Old story though -they are not generally available in the UK and, if they are they will be more expensive than in the US


fold the 4 looped pieces over towards the middle  and glue

 the loops will now look like a figures of eight



cut a "V" shape at each end of the bottom piece

Layer the 3 pieces - the unfolded piece at the bottom then the large loop and, finally, the small loop


Normally I would add a small loop around the middle (see pictures of other clips below) but I felt this would make these  velvet bows too thick so I glued the cameos directly on to the top loop

glue on the embellishment (I use a faux cameo from the jewellery counter)

glue the felt circles on the backs (I forgot to take pics - hence a different pair here! lol) 


 glue the whole pieces  to the shoe clip

and......voila...... a la Hepburn on patent heels




for these I used 2 shades of grosgrain ribbon and little twirled roses - I will be writing a tutorial on how to make the roses shortly - they have so many uses and really are easy


a la Bardot on pumps - they would look great with capri pants


you could also make these into hair grips by gluing 2 small pieces of felt or fabric on to a hair clasp





please contact me if any part of this tutorial is not clear and I will try to help

thanks again for looking at my blog - please follow me if you would like to win a pair of these and some other goodies in my giveaway


2 comments:

  1. Oh, girl, you are just too cute. These ribbons could be used for a lot of different projects. Thank you for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete

thank you for visiting my blog. Please leave a message if you enjoyed your visit, thanks, Gill