Friday, September 7, 2012

French Linen Bag

I have a penchant for tins and drawstring bags! I have so much crafty stuff in boxes and bags, yet keep buying tins and making bags. There are lots of tutorials for making these bags but this is the easiest way for me


Cut out a piece of fabric twice the length of the bag plus approximately 5cms for the top hems. If you use pinking shears the fabric will not fray


press, and sew a single hem 1cm wide  from the top to about 6 cms down


fold and press a 3cms hem at tops  & mark with a pin 

sew the narrow side hems from the top to the pin


press and sew the top hems 



Pin and sew the embellishment on to front (see below)


fold, placing right sides together
sew the side hems from the bottom to just under the top hem (sorry i forgot to take a pic)


trim the  excess fabric from bottom corners 


sew the lace trimming to the insides at the top



thread cord or ribbon through the top

Once again I printed off the graphic from The Graphics Fairy and transferred it on to the linen using Dylon Image Transfer

The sweet little roses are really easy and you don't need to have any painting experience. This is how I did them using  DecoArt So Soft Fabric Paints

Dip a stylus, cocktail stick or brush end - depending on the size you want the rose to be,  in to a puddle of red paint and then dot on image

dip the stylus in to white paint, then  swirl gently over the red until you get the desired effect. Each rose will look different but that adds to the design


paint small green leaves - they don't have to be perfect to give a nice effect

Please contact me if I have not explained this clearly and I will try and help if I can

8 comments:

  1. Such a lovely bag. I know what you mean about having lots of pretties and still on the hunt for more. I am an easy mark for pretty tins and fabric and lace, too.
    Enjoy the hunt because the day comes for all of us when we have to pass up the beauties and start to thin out the treasures.
    I like your blog.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you Mary. I have already thinned out treasures - and sometimes wish I hadn't! Why is it that you dispose of something and then you could use it the next week? I'm glad you like the blog, kind wishes, Gill

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is darling! I love this graphic--anything to do with chocolate is a hit in my book ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for dropping by, I know talent when I see it! And you are multi-talented, I am your newest follower and know I have so much to learn from you!
    PS: Did you know when you reply to people here in the comment section that they don't see it unless they come back and visit....Just letting you know,in case you didn't know already

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you Carol, I can see we have the same taste! Your projects are beautiful I didn't know that people here can't see my reply (so why am I writing this? lol)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello outstanding blog! Does running a blog such as this require
    a lot of work? I have absolutely no knowledge of computer
    programming however I had been hoping to start my own blog in
    the near future. Anyhow, if you have any suggestions or tips for new blog owners please share.
    I know this is off subject nevertheless I simply wanted
    to ask. Thanks a lot!
    Here is my website ; paski damskie

    ReplyDelete
  7. sorry I haven't answered sooner. I am fairly new to blogging but don't find it difficult. I only write a basic blog with pictures - there is probably a lot more I could do if I spent more time. You should try it and give me a shout if i can help. Thanks for your nice comments

    ReplyDelete

thank you for visiting my blog. Please leave a message if you enjoyed your visit, thanks, Gill