Friday, January 29, 2016

Tatting, silk ribbon roses and French knots on felt hearts

I love combining techniques to create OOAK items.

 I make these felt hearts in two different sizes and they look beautiful as door or drawer knobs, hanging on coat hangers or as pin cushions


I use Sizzix dies to cut the hearts and use polyester filling. My preferred embroidery floss is DMC and I like size 20 thread from Lizbeth for shuttle tatting  

Once I have completed the embroidery and/or tatting I sew two hearts together using either a running stitch or blanket stitch. I find it is best leave approximately a one inch space to insert the stuffing (it's a good idea to measure enough floss to sew around the heart without a join)

Please see the index on the left for tutorials for making silk ribbons and fork bows?

This is an example of a heart I teach as part of enrichment programmes on cruise ships -  
it takes about 60-90 minutesto complete one. It is a simple design and good for beginners. Most of us learned to do lazy daisy (chain) stitch at school and it's like riding a bike! 
 
Here I have combined silk ribbon roses and leaves with a tatted edging pattern by Mary Konior and French knot wisteria 



 ....more tatting with seed beads


Hollyhocks and cottage garden flowers with a tatted butterfly

 
......scattered French knots around  roses and added a seed bead to each stitch around the edge


 These are fun to make and you can make them as simple or busy as your hearts desire!

I hope you enjoyed seeing these and please visit again

Gill
www.gillcolthart.com 
 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog. Please leave a message if you enjoyed your visit, thanks, Gill