Monday, October 13, 2014

Iridescent Autumn Leaves with Decoart Media



Autumn is the hush before winter. ~French Proverb




here in Scotland it is Autumn, but for many it is " fall". In the UK we don't seem to celebrate this time of year as much as our friends across the pond.  I wish we did but, maybe now there is a renaissance in the crafts world, that might happen!


Scotland is beautiful at this time of year, especially in Perthshire. We used to live there and we do miss the beautiful countryside. When we were there a few days ago I was looking for inspiration for projects when I came across a very old horse chestnut tree and picked up lots of shiny conkers (buckeyes in the US I believe)


When I returned home I wiped them with a damp cloth, allowed them to dry and applied some DecoArt Americana Dura Clear Varnish with a lint-free cloth

I then started thinking about possibilities with some dried leaves I had picked up, and decided to use product from the DecoArt Mixed Media Programme. These products are so versatile that I felt sure I would create a nice effect......and I certainly did

Supplies: 
DecoArt Media Mister Turquoise
DecoArt Media Mister Magenta
DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics Green
DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics Turquoise
DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics Blue
DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics Magenta
A flat or filbert brush
a piece of lint-free cloth


How to:
I removed the top of the misters and used the bottom of the spraying tube to drop small amounts on to a palette (I used a piece of aluminium foil), then squeezed  small drops of the Interference alongside  (I gave them a good shake first).

I then brushed the colours on to the leaves randomly. 

This technique changes the colour of the leaves in a subtle, but eye-catching way giving them a kind of petrol effect
    
. I didn't  clean the brush between products and this added to the shimmery appearance....just look at these colours! 


I also achieved a nice effect on dried hydrangeas by dry brushing with Media Interference, unfortunately this does not show up too well in photos 


There are so many things you could do with these three things....

conkers and hydrangeas in a mason jar, with iridescent leaves tied on with string

Autumn wreaths

Place settings

Hydrangeas in an urn




or place in a bowl with some berries


 There are lots of tutorials and videos online showing how to dry leaves (glycerine is my preferred way) and hydrangeas




1 comment:

thank you for visiting my blog. Please leave a message if you enjoyed your visit, thanks, Gill