Friday, October 10, 2014

Geisha Girl Decoupage Heart using DecoArt Media - Tutorial

I am loving the new Media product from DecoArt!

I can't thank DecoArt  enough for supplying me with some of their fabulous product; they are always one step ahead when coming up with new product and techniques.

Prior to using this product I gained lots of advice watching Andy Skinner's Youtube channel - Andy is an expert on DecoArt Media so it was very useful. Thanks Andy



 This is  how I transformed a wooden heart in to a lovely wall ornament

I used:
A napkin
DecoArt Americana Paint - Indian Turquoise
Isopropanol
A filbert Brush
An old toothbrush


 I applied Two coats of gesso (I like to use a filbert brush as it helps stop lines showing in the paint) and left it to dry


I then applied a watered down coat of Indian Turquoise Americana paint 


..........whilst the paint was still wet, I spattered on some isopropanal (rubbing alcohol) by dipping a toothbrush in the fluid and rubbing my thumbnail across it, thereby flicking some on to the surface. This leaves kind of mottled irregular surface


After it was dry, the next step was to apply a coat of blue Interference......unfortunately this does not show up in the pictures, but it gives a wonderful opalescent effect.








I then added some napkin decoupage by
tearing a napkin along any edge/s that will show in the surface - this  leaves  a soft hairy edge.  Separating the layers (there are usually 2 or 3)  and only keeping the top patterned one


Applying thin even coats of Decoupage on the back of the napkin and on the surface, then positioning it on the desired part of the surface (sorry no picture) and smoothing it out with a brush or brayer

I then turned it over and cut off the excess



this is is how it looked, before I went on to embellish it


I sourced this lovely geisha girl image from the Graphics Fairy website
I printed it off, cut it and mounted it on blue card


the applied it to the heart using the decoupage medium. I used a die to cut pink vellum blossom

I wanted to give the flowers depth so I placed them on a deep foam base and pressed down on the middle of each with a large stylus

I added some pearls to the flower centres and an Oriental coin over the hanging hole

and finally added some ribbon and a mini tassel (please see my last post for a tutorial on how to make tassels)

Please watch this space for more projects using DecoArt Media....here is a sneak preview of what can be done with Crackle Paint and Interference
   

my next post will be an easy way to transfer images using DecoArt Media Matte Medium



2 comments:

thank you for visiting my blog. Please leave a message if you enjoyed your visit, thanks, Gill