Saturday, October 5, 2013

Hand Painted Roses using DecoArt Americana on a Chalk Paint Basecoat

I don't really like using chalk paint - the reason being that I painted a large Laura Ashley table and 2 lamp tables with it. I used the finishing wax and didn't like the result. It looked streaky, but not in a way that I liked (I like to control my streaks) lol. 

........but, being an obstinate crafter, I thought I would give it another try on this lovely tray I bought in TK Maxx (aka TJ Maxx across the pond)



I transferred the script using an image I sourced at the Graphics Fairy  and transferred it using the freezer paper method (there is a tutorial on here if you use the search list on the left of the screen)



I then used DecoArt Americana paints to paint the roses and leaves. I was surprised at how well the acrylic paint went on to the chalk with literally no dragging. I always touch up my painting at the end to remove any parts I don't like and the chalk paint covered them well.

I didn't use a pattern as I always design projects as I go along 

Finally I used 3 coats of DecoArt Spray Varnish

......and a handy tip - I wanted to transfer the script by rubbing with a brayer on the freezer paper. I don't have a brayer so I used one of my roller clothes thingys and just rubbed talcum powder over it to combat the stickiness. It worked a treat


Happy Painting

Gill

5 comments:

  1. Hello Gill,
    I have hopped over from last weeks Tea Cup Tuesday to see your tatted teapots. I think I found the post you meant and commented there. You have such a fun blog with all kinds of great projects! I love what you have done with the tray here. You did a beautiful job sprucing it up!
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your tray transformation, absolutely stunning roses and love how you've used the GF image.

    ReplyDelete

thank you for visiting my blog. Please leave a message if you enjoyed your visit, thanks, Gill