Thursday, April 11, 2013

Sea glass jewellery

I love sea glass, especially the pieces I have collected myself. I love the all the different shades of blues, greens and whites along with unusual shapes and sizes.


It takes me a long time to get from one part of a beach to another as something always catches my eye and, invariably, I find a perfectly shaped shell, a shard of pottery,  a piece of sea glass and sometimes even a nice smooth stone. I usually forget to take a poly bag so my finds land up in the bottom of my beach bag or in a pocket - this is where they normally stay until weeks or months later when, in the midst of a Scottish winter I decide to turn my find in to something very special to wear.





Sea glass has been tossed & tumbled by the ocean until it has been broken in to small pieces and had all the rough edges rubbed off - it's transformed from a useless piece of broken glass in to a beautiful unique object with smooth edges and a translucency that makes it seem like a jewel - no wonder sea glass is also known as "Mermaid's Tears"


I soak shells and sea glass in a weak solution of bleach, soap  & water overnight and, the next day, when it is completely dry I rub a little oil on them to give a shiny translucent look as if they have just come from the sea

Sea glass can be found on beaches all over the world and on a link here you can enter the area you are in to find possible places to search.

There are beaches almost totally covered in glass. This is because, in many areas, household trash was dumped away from the towns at sites by the sea. Through time,  after all the organic material has long disappeared only the glass is left.....

this is at Fort Bragg Beach, California - oh how I would love to visit here





It's funny how little (or as in this picture large) pieces evoke happy memories. I bought this shell in St Maarten from a lovely lady who had a little shack on the beach. She was selling jewellery made from dried berries along with a few of these shells. We started chatting about crafts (of course) and I showed her how to tatt. I didn't have a tatting shuttle or needle with me, so I used my fingers and a piece of string. She was delighted to see something new and I wonder if tourists in St Maarten are now maybe buying pieces of tatted jewellery to take home. I really like this shell despite having had to empty suitcases at Miami airport and re-pack because one case was way too heavy!



There are various things you can make with shells (please see a previous post) and sea glass. I made these pendants & earrings  with  various wires, beads and freshwater pearls. The wire I prefer to use is 24 gauge artistic wire which is available in lots of lovely colours.



I adore seahorses and they look lovely against a piece of sea glass on a pendant - because this piece of glass is concave (possibly from a bottle neck?) I thought the seahorse would look pretty tucked into it rather than have it dangling seperately on a ring



Tiny little pieces make gorgeous earrings



this piece looks pearlescent



aand these? I crocheted around them with Artistic Wire




mermaid's tears, starfish & freshwater pearls

The Sea Glass Journal is a great site with lots of interesting  articles and pictures 

Happy Beachcombing

1 comment:

  1. I really appreciate this information. I recently returned from the Bahamas and was thinking about sea glass while I was walking the beach looking for treasures. I never really read anything about it and didn't know what it was. Well, I didn't find much but a few little shells but am glad now to have learned something about it. Love what you did with yours, especially when you add the pearls. I have really enjoyed visiting with you today - from the Graphics Fairy.

    ReplyDelete

thank you for visiting my blog. Please leave a message if you enjoyed your visit, thanks, Gill