Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Vintage French Hats Box - Storage for Jewelery Findings

Today I  have been thinking outside of the box - literally


I had a box containing 3 small jars of toiletries - bath salts, hand cream and ????  I don't know what because I have mislaid one of the jars! I am hoping it is lurking somewhere and I can complete this project


for the outside cover I transferred a French graphic on to linen using the (Reynolds) freezer paper method and gave it an aged effect by brushing on a mix of coffee and water.

The little bauble is from a vintage bracelet and I tatted a border around the ege

I sourced the lovely hat images from The Graphics Fairy  and added the text (rings & things, pins & needles and seeds & beads) - this can take a few attempts to get both the images and text the right size

I printed the page

and dabbed it with a piece kitchen towel dipped in a mix of instant coffee and hot water

I had to iron the paper as it was a bit wrinkled, then put it through my Xyron adhesive/laminator, cut out circles and stuck them on the lids (at least 2 lids meantime! lol))

I added the cream lace which already had sticky tape on it....... 

........and for inside the lid - I  typed, copied & printed few craft related words on copy paper and stuck it inside with double sided tape

and here is my vintage box - I will use it to store headpins, rings and other small items I use for jewellery making

and, guess what? I still can't find the third jar!

Yay! I found it




3 comments:

  1. Your little jars are so pretty! Love the graphic you chose! I have a box from some soaps that I've been meaning to "dress" up. Thanks for the inspiration!

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Over from GF. I hope you find the third jar to complete your set. It turned out great. The graphics are perfect, the finish is perfect and the addition of the lace is perfection!!!

    xxx
    Sumaya

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep forgetting that I can "age" items using tea or coffee - so I was really pleased with your instructions. LOVELY blog you have - I'll have to follow you!

    Blessings,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete

thank you for visiting my blog. Please leave a message if you enjoyed your visit, thanks, Gill