Friday, March 8, 2013

La Vie en Rose covered journal

I've had a busy week preparing for classes and designing kits, but only had to spend about half an hour covering another journal. This is a great way to use  up odd pieces of fabric, lace, ribbon, buttons, jewellery and bows 





this is how I made it.......

 I cut a piece of linen fabric the size of the opened journal and added ½-¾" all around to tuck in later. I marked it with tailors chalk and used a yardstick (or else I would never have straight lines!)


spray the fabric with adhesive, following the manufacturers instructions (I used Hobbycraft repositionable)


trim the corners diagonally



place the open book on the fabric and press it on, smoothing out any wrinkles with a brayer or bank/hotel key card


cut slits in line with the spine

press down between the pages  and the spine (sorry I didn't take a picture) - use a small blunt instrument to tuck it in neatly

fold the excess fabric over and glue to the inside covers

cut a pretty piece of paper and stick on the inside covers - I used origami paper and Mod Podge - again use a brayer or card to smooth out any wrinkles 
I also used an image of scissors, from the Graphics Fairy, on the inside cover

then (the fun part)........decorate with panache!



I added some French galon butterflies and painted the stem & comma strokes  with DecoArt So Soft Fabric Paints.  I then added a rose made I had previously with hand dyed ombre silk ribbon. I will post instructions shortly on how to make  a silk ribbon rose brooch. 

Instructions for making the little fork bow are in my last post

The cute little bee is an image from The Graphics Fairy and the script was typed on my mac & transferred using Reynold's Freezer Paper

My tutorial for velvet bookmarks can be found in an older post - just search the labels on the left 


thanks again for looking and please click to follow if you would like to see more tutorials

3 comments:

thank you for visiting my blog. Please leave a message if you enjoyed your visit, thanks, Gill