Sunday, November 11, 2012

Image Transfer French Apron



have you ever found an image in a book or online and thought you would just love to see that image on fabric, but don't know the best way to get this beautiful image from A to B?

there are many ways to transfer images to fabric and I think I must have tried most of them! I've had more success with some than others, and,  after a LOT of trial and error I have kind of combined some techniques in to one which work best for me


I found this apron in TK Maxx and loved the linen and gingham combo


- as soon as I saw it I thought it would look even better with a French image on it

the  image is from  The Graphics Fairy and the script is Chopin (I use a Mac)

to transfer using my method you will need:

A4 copy paper
double sided tape
freezer paper (I used Reynold's)
a spoon

.......now lets do it

stick  pieces of double sided tape along the top and bottom edges of an 4 sheet of  copy paper (I stuck it on all 4 sides here, but top & bottom will suffice). Make sure it is right at the very edge or it may jam in your printer




then place a piece of Reynold's Freezer paper, shiny side down, on a table and place the copy paper carefully on top. Rub down hard your finger along the edges to ensure the paper doesn't jam in your printer



Trim the excess freezer paper off (I use a guillotine)  making sure there are no parts of the freezer paper larger than the copy paper

place in your printer tray, ensuring the the image will be printed on the shiny side of the freezer paper (I have a Kodak 3000 series printer and place the paper shiny side down, but yours may be different)

print - set your printer to "flip horizontally" (really important if you are using script). Your print will now look like this, with the ink on the shiny side

cut off the top and bottom just inside of the edge of the tape



isolate the image by cutting it out; leave a margin all around (you will hold the paper in place with your fingers at the next step)

discard all of the copy paper and excess freezer paper

place the printed image face down on the fabric & burnish with the bowl of a spoon  (make sure the paper doesn't move and smudge the image)

voila! a transferred image

a few tips are:
 it is best to wash new fabrics to remove any starch
don't add fabric softener
take a peek every so often, as you burnish,  to check that you haven't missed any of the image
touch up any small parts you have missed with a waterproof permanent marker


oh no! I guess I'll have to do the cooking now!

7 comments:

  1. This image looks perfect with this apron--very cute and I thank you so much for the tutorial. I've never tried to transfer to fabric but would love to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one method I have not tried, sure seems like the least expensive, thank you!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not expensive Carol and easy to do. Thank you

      Delete
  3. whoah this blog is great i love studying your articles. Stay up the good work!
    You recognize, a lot of persons are searching round for this information, you could help them greatly.
    My page - touch tablet pc

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am new to image transfer and have been doing the fabric-through-the-printer, but am limited to size. I am going to try this! Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete

thank you for visiting my blog. Please leave a message if you enjoyed your visit, thanks, Gill